Since 2003 the Waggoner has published a recommendation that West Sea Otter buoy reports be monitored before rounding Cape Caution. If seas at West Sea Otter are one meter or less, a raft of logs could be towed across. The Waggoner cautions that seas of 1.5 meters or more might warrant careful consideration before setting out. The Waggoner also cautions that West Sea Otter is just one element in the crossing decision, and this year we learned that even a low reading can be offset completely by the afternoon westerly. Correspondent Bruce Evertz just wrote with some further thoughts. Here they are.


In our last e-mail to you we were in Fury Cove, planning to round Cape Caution the next day, which we did.

It was not nearly as nice as the trip north but went OK. We had a choice to make between heading out early into the ebb against the swells, or waiting for good currents and dealing with the predicted strong wind in the afternoon.

We went at first light. BTW, West Sea Otter was 1.1 meters and as we were abeam the cape it reported 0.9 meters. We encountered confused seas for the first hour or so and steered a course for Japan until we got past the Rivers Inlet and Fitz Hugh Sound ebb. There was almost a distinct line there and then the swells were much more uniform. We turned for Queen Charlotte Strait, and had a decent ride to Blunden Harbour.

We will never know if we should have gone in the afternoon. There was a fresh breeze from the west late that day in Blunden Harbour.

Thought you might like to add our Cape Caution experience to your vast data base.

Bruce & Margaret Evertz
M/V Tapawingo

Share this: